Friday, February 1, 2008

Feed Faith or Feed Doubt?

After reading The God Delusion, there are times when I pray at night thinking... "What if I'm praying to nothing? This really would be silly.." This book for me fed "doubt" in my mind.


What would happen if I only read books by Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Laura Ingraham? In time I may have some pretty strong views on how I view my political issues and how I vote. Equally, what if I only followed moveon.org, Howard Dean, and James Carville? It's a sobering thought, but I really do begin to become what I have fed.

Our filters are created by what we've fed. What we read, our experiences, where we spend our time and money, and who we hang-out with all feed our minds, opinions, and beliefs. Our ability to "balance" our filters allows us to better understand others and how they've become who they are and what they believe.

The Christian extreme may say, "You've given the enemy a foothold, don't read that garbage, burn those books, don't listen to that music or watch that show..." We can definately feed our faith to an extreme. But would that be like having a diet of only protein and no fruits and vegetables? I think we can learn a lot about the people around us when we can observe their lives asking, "What are they feeding their lives with that has brought them to what they believe?"

It's a delicate balance, preserving faith while trying to understand another's belief.... engaging in critical thinking, intellect, and science vs. faith in what is unknown, immeasurable, and elusive... Jesus said, "Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you"...

What are you seeking? What doors are you knocking on? What will you feed? Faith or Doubt? Are you balancing well?

No comments: