Saturday, January 17, 2009

Purpose Cube: Finding Your Purpose



We have a choice. We can drift through life, work in jobs we really don't enjoy, meander through relationships, fill time wondering when the next cookout is, play taxi driver for our kids, and simply grow old. These are potential traits of the mixed-up, purpose-lacking Cube of Life.
The danger is, our busyness can feel like we're really doing something... but in actuality, we may simply be spinning our wheels.

The alternative? Be an expert in You. Study You. Watch what you do. (I can attest, I genuinely love thinking about me, studying me, and trying out different things with me... I...Love... Me.) To find our purpose, we need to be intentional about eliminating things that aren't our passion and narrowing the focus on the Design of who we are. As you work on your Purpose Cube, your colors will eventually take S.H.A.P.E. One side will be completed as you continue your twists and turns in jobs, volunteer roles, and relationships...

Here are a few tips & tools to explore:
  • Personality Tests: This link has a wide variety of options

  • Talk to people close to you that you trust, ask them for input on what your talents, passions, and tendencies
  • S.H.A.P.E. Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, Experiences all weave a story of who you are and wiring
  • Strength Finder Test : Highly recommended. Everyone should take this... it's about $15 for a book, a quick 30-min online test that gives you your Top 5 strengths as a guide... (My top 5 were Responsibility, Belief, Learner, Input, and Maximizer.... thus MaxiMeyer :)

  • Volunteer on various teams and different missions, you'll find you love some more than others which will give you more insights.... Experiment, try new things...

I'm learning that much of my purpose is a daily function of who I am, how I'm wired, and how that can play out in my day to day with the people I interact with. We were made for a purpose... Romans 12:2-

Work like everything depends on you to find your purpose in this short life, pray like it depends on God. My hope for all of us is that we will find our good, pleasing, perfect plan He uniquely has for each of us and the cube comes together...




By the way, I have a strong sense I'm not a dancer.




















































1 comment:

Kathy Guy said...

You are a funny man, Mark Meyer...and wise, but really funny!